Ensuring Your Orthodontic Appliances Survive The Summer To Come
Summer has landed, and it’s time to get excited about fun in the sun! There’s nothing like time spent at the beach, visiting water parks, or camping to bring us together. Whether you’re charging out on an adventure or just day-tripping, keep your orthodontics safe. Traditional braces and clear aligners both require care to ensure they work effectively. Just because you’re out enjoying yourself is no reason to lose progress. Orthodontic care doesn’t have to interfere with your good time! With a bit of attention and thinking ahead, you’ll keep on track to that great smile.
Summer Safety Tips For Orthodontics
In your preparations for the upcoming season, there are some steps you can take to prepare.
- Keep Emergency Contacts Handy – Before heading out on your trip, collect your emergency contact information. Consider keeping a physical copy alongside the info you keep in your phone.
- Prepare A Travel Kit – It doesn’t matter if you’re going across the world or down the street. Keep a small container of basic orthodontic care needs with you at all times. A soft-bristled toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste, and a Waterpik should be all you need. A pencil to manage any exposed wires can help too.
Preparing for the unexpected is just good practice. Anyone who has orthodontics knows about the issues that can pop up. We’re going to tell you a few of the more common ones and easy ways to prepare for them.
- General Mouth Irritation – Minor irritation is a standard part of wearing orthodontics, especially braces. Orthodontic wax is an excellent solution for brackets or wires that have become exposed. Just make sure the area is dry, and press a small ball of wax into place.
- Protruding Wires – In some cases, wires can start to protrude and be more than an irritant. You can use a traditional pencil eraser to push the wire back in place. Follow this up with the aforementioned orthodontic wax for relief.
- Loose Bracket – This one needs professional care as soon as possible. Until you can visit your dentist, try to slide it back to the center of the tooth. Applying orthodontic wax can provide some stability.
Following the above guidelines will help ensure you have a summer unimpeded by your orthodontics. It’s essential to have a great time over the summer. It’s also essential to keep your braces and aligners safe while you’re on the go. Following the above tips will accomplish both.
Some Final Notes To Keep Your Smile Safe
One struggle faced by all those with braces is the temptation of summertime foods. A lot of foods we enjoy during these warmer months are sticky, chewy, and sweet. Others are just difficult to eat with braces, such as corn on the cob and meat on the bone, such as ribs. Thankfully you can still dig into the ice cream, baked potatoes, and grilled veggies all you want!
Reach out to your dental specialist for tips on getting the most out of your summertime experience. When autumn rolls around, you want your teeth to still look great. With their help, you’ll be right on track for a straight, beautiful smile!